Islamic Revolution Advancing While Enemy Retreating: IRGC Commander
TEHRAN (Tasnim) – Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) Commander Major General Hossein Salami highlighted Iran’s military and political achievements over the past decades and said the Islamic Revolution is advancing while the enemy is retreating from its position.
Addressing a conference on media and the soft war in Tehran on Sunday, Major General Salami underlined the collapse of the US hegemonic system and said, “Today, they (Americans) admit that they have reached the point where the more they advance, the more they go downwards.”
“A power’s lack of strategy is the beginning of its gradual death and this is what has happened in the US,” the top commander added.
“The enemy is retreating and leaving the battlefield while the Islamic Revolution is advancing and this is the sign of victory,” Major General Salami went on to say.
Elsewhere in his remarks, he said the Iranian media’s philosophy is “defending the oppressed and putting ourselves in danger to save others’ lives, adding that this philosophy will definitely emerge victorious.
The remarks came against the backdrop of increased tensions between Iran and the US after the Islamic Republic shot down an advanced US spy drone over its territorial waters and also recent attacks by Yemeni forces on Saudi oil facilities, with Washington and Riyadh claiming Iran was behind them.
The Islamic Revolution Guards Corps said on June 20 that a US spy drone that violated the Iranian territorial airspace in the early hours of the day was shot down by the IRGC Aerospace Force’s air defense unit near the Kooh-e-Mobarak region in the southern province of Hormozgan.
The intruding drone was reportedly shot by Iran’s homegrown air defense missile system “Khordad-3rd”.
Tensions between the US and Iran escalated further after Yemeni armed forces conducted a large-scale operation against Saudi Arabia’s Aramco oil installations last month, in response to the Saudi-led war on their country.
The Yemeni Houthi Ansarullah movement immediately took credit for the attacks, but US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo swiftly accused Iran of being behind the assault, without providing any evidence. Tehran categorically rejected the allegations.
Meanwhile, Saudi Arabia claimed that the strikes on its oil infrastructure came from the “north” and were “unquestionably” sponsored by Iran, adding that the Houthis were not responsible for the assault despite claiming it.
Shortly after the Saudi announcement, the spokesman for Yemeni Armed Forces, however, reiterated it was behind the weekend attack, stressing that the Houthis have new drones, powered by “normal and jet engines” that can reach targets deep in Saudi Arabia.
“Our forces have reached a high level of efficiency and ability. They can manufacture various types of unmanned aerial vehicles in record time. The Second Deterrent Balance Operation, which targeted Saudi oil installations, is a perfect example of the capabilities of our forces in terms of planning and implementation,” Brigadier General Yahya Saree said during a press conference in the capital Sana’a.